Ok, so I have no idea what to call tonight’s incredible concoction. This is not your typical pizza for sure! Not only is it much, much healthier, it packs a ridiculous punch of gorgeous flavors like nothing I’ve ever tasted! Even though the protein of the sweet potato and cashews are extremely filling (so you eat less!), it was hard not to want more because it tastes so incredibly good! I will be updating this recipe with more details and tweaks after I make these a few more times. I usually create recipes by using the pinch-add-taste method, but I’ll be as specific as I can for now. Feel free to add your own twist or let me know of any improvements you try! Happy clean cooking!
So let’s get started:
- We’re going to make a two ingredient, protein-rich, gluten-free, Vegan crust (this has the consistency of an untoasted bagel) using peeled and steamed sweet potatoes and white rice flour (UPDATE: I did try this with homemade brown rice flour and it worked as well. I also tried another batch using the brown rice flour with the addition of two DIY flax seed egg substitutes and that was even better! I will be experimenting with more gluten-free flours in the future). Go ahead and peel a couple large sweet potatoes and steam them until tender.
- Strain the sweet potatoes and mash thoroughly with a masher or use a blender and blend until smooth. Put sweet potatoes in a mixing bowl and mix in rice flour until consistency becomes doughy (if it is too sticky it needs more flour).
- Roll sweet potato dough into several small palm sized balls and then flatten with hands or rolling pin to an eight of an inch thick.
- On a lightly oiled (I use grapeseed oil for the higher heat index and rich flavor) griddle or flat pan, cook on medium heat for about 10-15 minutes flipping occasionally or until lightly browned. Remove from heat and immediately wrap in a flour sack towel to store until ready to use.
- Slice 1-2 yellow onions and grill on griddle or sear in pan until soft and browned.
- In a separate pan, add a teaspoon of olive oil and 2-3 freshly minched cloves of garlic and let simmer while you peel and shred (using a cheese grater) one large beet. [[How about that color therapy?!!]]
- Add beet shreds to the simmering garlic and turn heat up to medium. Add in a quarter wedge of fresh squeezed lemon juice. Stir occasionally for about 10-15 minutes or until the color of the beets have darkened significantly and beet shreds begin to stick together.
- Once the beets, onions and sweet potato crust are ready, it’s time to put everything together! Generously smother the sweet potato crust with Vegan Cashew Cheese. Top with the garlic beet shreds and grilled onions. Then add a slice or two of avocado and sprinkle with a tiny pinch of freshly ground sea salt to bring out all the incredible tones of this dish. And voila! Healthy, beautifully flavored mini pizza… things. Serve and enjoy! And don’t be surprised if you find yourself making seconds in the middle of the night! I toooootally didn’t do that… 😉